Friday, September 21, 2012

Dukes of Hazzard promotional displays


Finding Dukes things that aren't intended for normal sale is always fun.  I have a few items that were promotional displays.  These kind of things are rare and unpredictable.  They can come from anywhere and it's really about luck if you find them.  Let's take a look at a few of them.


Movie items seem to be a little easier to find.  The movie isn't as popular as the show, and they weren't made all that long ago.  Though I have no idea where I got this one.  It promotes the DVD release of the movie, and is made of a thick cardboard.  It must have been part of a bigger display, because I really don't why there is the blue and gray background to it.  It's a cool and different piece.


Sticking with the movie theme, they next few items were all a part of one of those huge Wal-Mart floor displays.  These two sides promoted the release of the movie.  I believe the only exclusive release at Wal-Mart was a DVD with the pilot episode "One Armed Bandits" and the trailer of the movie.  


What I find odd about this display is the obvious (to me at least) use of the 1/18 diecast General Lee.  Weird that the graphic designers used a picture of the toy and not the actual car.  But it's not the first time this happened.  


This large floor display also advertised the release of season 3 on DVD.  These sides have the true Dukes cousins on them.  Buying season 3 gave you a free ticket to the movie.  


There are also these really cool panels that feature Bo and Luke.  


And this box that was a part of the top of the display.  It has two sides.  


The opposite side has a really goofy photoshop of Daisy hanging out of the window of a jumping General.  Not all that realistic.  That's a diecast too.  You can tell by the wheels.  


This piece would have been the "lid" to the whole display.  It's very big.  It features some different pictures than the rest of the display.  


This photo from season 1 isn't used as much.  It is a cool group shot.  You can tell it is from season 1 because of Luke's denim jacket, Cooter's beard and the different patrol car.  


You have to love this picture of ol' JD.  Boss Hogg just looks so distressed.  Rosco must have really screwed up this time.  I tried to get these large Wal-Mart displays at my local stores, but they just wouldn't let me have them.  They said it was store policy that they had to destroy them.  What a waste.  I bought mine from a fellow collector.  I would have tried very hard not to take the display apart, but then I would have a huge display taking up all kind of room.  It is better that I got it this way.  


The poster with this image on it is very rare and sought after.  But this isn't the poster.  This is a display for it.  


It is very thick and heavy. 


And looks and feels more like canvas on the front.  


The back has a sticker from the "National Picture & Frame Co." out of Greenwood, MS.  This display once came with 8 of the posters.  I got this from a seller at the Steel City Con.  It is a great rare addition to the collection.  


And finally here is one of my favorite pieces of my whole collection.  Notice that the really good stuff is on the business card and blog background?  This is a nearly life-size stand-up promoting the Dukes of Hazzard Racing For Home and Daisy Dukes It Out video games.  The original Playstation game was released in 1999, and the sequel, Windows, and Game-boy versions were released in 2000.  It was a fun time to get video games after all those years.  I bought this display from a guy on Craigslist.  He said he worked for Hills and Ames department stores when they closed.  He said he was clearing out a store when he found this and kept it.  I got it for a great price.  I wouldn't be able to afford it if it were on eBay.  I got lucky.  


The base has very nice graphics of the General and all the releases.  I have all of these versions of the game.  The first game sold so well, it was re-released under Playstation's greatest hits and had a green box.  


Isn't Daisy beautiful?

4 comments:

  1. Hell-O from "Hazzard County"... Where we "Stacey" have been given the honorary title of the "Greatest Villain" of my Hometown....LOL
    Now even a Preacher stepped up to tell the Good folk of our area to Leave Stacey Alone....
    Topix/Forum.... for my little town has been changed a bit.... Well I turned their rude comments and insults back upon them...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A life sized Daisy standee? Am in! : )

    ReplyDelete