Wednesday, July 2, 2014

New Dukes Stuff - 7/2/2014 - AMF Metal Pedal Car, Display Picture, Original Prop


Thanks to a fellow Dukes fan that is always on the lookout for me, as well as Jeff, I added some incredibly unique and very cool items to the collection.


Starting off is the AMF Rebel metal pedal car.


Right off the bat you notice the big ol' 10.  This is not a licensed product.  It is was produced by the AMF pedal car company.  AMF started in the '60s.  This particular model was previously released as the Pacer. They released it as the Rebel in 1981.


This pedal car is in impeccable condition.  The decals are nearly perfect.  There is no question that the 10 was modeled after the 01 on the General Lee.


The Rebel text resembles the General Lee text on the hood of our car.


My guess is that AMF wasn't a southern based company.  I've never seen a rebel flag with 21 stars.  They put the flag on the front hood because there is no roof.  On the licensed Coleco plastic pedal car, the flag is on the trunk.


The company logo is on the front license plate.  This thing looks nothing like a Charger.


The only addition to the car is a Michigan state "Big 10" toy license plate.  There were already holes in the back of the car.  The plate doesn't take away anything from the appearance, I'll probably keep it on.  Maybe a Big 10 football fan had this car as a display piece.  There must be some connection between the plate, Michigan, and the number 10 on the car.  My thoughts are that it wasn't owned by a Dukes fan, because it is worth a heck of a lot more than what I paid for it.


The steering wheel and seat pad are in perfect shape.


The bottom shows the over spray.  It seems the car was black first.  I wonder is they manufactured new cars to be the Rebels or painted old stock.  The Pacer was first released in the '60s.


The wheels are perfect.  I believe this car was never used.  There is not a mark on the tread.  The only problem is that it is missing one of the four plastic hub caps, but I already looked and they are readily available online.


There is a tag on the inside of the car.  The tag says Olney, IL as well as what looks like the date 9/14/1981. Maybe that is the production date.  That's only about three weeks after I was born.  This thing looks great for 33 years old, just like me.  Metal pedal cars have a long tradition in our country and this car would have been a great alternative to the plastic Coleco car if parents wanted to buy their little Dukes fans something a little more substantial that looked pretty much like the General Lee.  I'm really excited to add it to the collection.


Next up is an awesome display model of a popular poster from the Golden Era.


Much like the General Lee poster I bought years ago, this one feels like canvas and really looks like a painting.  The subject is unique because it shows Bo and Luke in different outfits that they never wore on the show.  As I was recently watching the show, Bo said they could show pictures of the bad guys to Enos for him to identify, and Luke said "Enos wouldn't recognize me if I wasn't wearing plaid."  I really liked that line.


You really have to look close to see that it's not painted.  It's a striking piece.  It is in great condition and another item I'm surprised I had the chance to buy.


The General Lee poster wasn't framed.  This one is.  You can tell that the frame was made for this picture and has never been off.


Just like the General Lee display piece, there is a small sticker on the back.


National Picture and Frame Co. in Greenwood, MS is responsible for the both pieces.  The sticker is the same on both.  It says 8 pk Dukes 21X29.  I'm very fortunate to have friends in the antique business looking out for rare pieces like these.


While I was picking these pieces up, I also noticed this loose Rough Rider General Lee.


I bought a nearly mint one in package early this year.  This one is in good condition.  It is missing the lever on top that controls the movement.  I haven't put a battery in it to see if it still works.


LJN, the manufacturer, went to enough detail to add a push bar to the car.


There is also a tow hook on the back, for towing other toy cars, I guess.


Funny how I went so long without having this piece in my collection and now I have an opened and packaged version.


Very cool to finally have the Rough Rider General Lee by LJN take its rightful place in the collection.


Now this piece is interesting.  Back at Christmas time Jeff went above and beyond the boundaries of friendship when he surprised me with an actual prop used on the show.  He bought me a screen used bowl that is all kinds of great.  Well, for my birthday, he did it again.  This time it's a "Vintage Inlaid Train Tie Clip" that was used by "cast members."  It is not a specific character piece, but I can't think of too many different characters who wore ties, so I'm guessing we can find the scenes where this was used pretty easily.  My guess is that the B-O on the coal car refers to the B and O Railroad.  You know, the one from Monopoly, and maybe real life too, but I will now forever think it says Bo, I mean it was used on the Dukes of Hazzard.


The back seems standard as far as tie clips go, but I don't know much about tie clips.  Wonder if there is a tieclipcollector.com....nope.


Just like the bowl, this one comes with a nifty tag identifying the piece and its credits.


And it also came with a Certificate of Authenticity.  The certificate refers to the piece as Faux Inlaid Gold Train Tie Clip.  The certificate was issued by the Costume Collection and dated 5/16/2001.  I may display this piece in the green bowl.  That might be too much awesome in the same place.  Thanks Jeff, you knocked it out of the park again.

2 comments:

  1. Ive got a AMF bicycle that matches the pedal car it says the rebel on it as a Confederate flag seat with the numbers 1 0 and I just had it signed by John Schneider... I wish I knew how to post a picture but I don't.... if you're interested I could email you a picture of it

    ReplyDelete